Friday, September 28, 2012

Wikileaks

WikiLeaks has received an equal amount of praise and criticism.  On one hand it is one of the best places to find honest news, but on the other hand it does release some pretty controversial stuff.  I believe it deserves more praise than criticism.  It is incredibly hard to find information that is as reliable or truthful as WikiLeaks. It has been criticized for publishing classified information and exposing certain government actions or policies.   I think that is completely fair for them to do that.  They are just exercising their rights and why shouldn't they be able to publish information just because it makes us look bad?  Maybe if it's that bad we should not have done it in the first place.  If I am being told a story I want to hear the whole story and I think the majority of people would agree with me.
One of the drawbacks of WikiLeaks is that some of the information published could put people's lives in danger.  The government has continuously criticized WikiLeaks for many reasons such as publishing confidential information and endangering people's lives.  At one point, WikiLeaks actually asked the government to help protect people who were potentially at risk.  The government refused because they did not want to show any support.  Overall, I do think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, but not everybody agrees with that.  They definitely have a different approach to journalism and I don't believe it has a negative affect on the field as a whole.  It's just a unique, informative, and truthful way of telling the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment