Saturday, September 22, 2012

The outer beauty of books

There is ongoing discussion about the rapid evolution of books, in content and their place in the market.  Some people believe that the physical books, which we've cherished since their creation, are a dying breed.  Nowadays people have invested in iPads or Kindles out of sheer convenience.  So is this the end of a tradition?  I don't think so.  There will always be a market for traditional books.  It may be becoming smaller, but I don't think it'll ever completely disappear.  I also think the cover art will remain relevant.  Maybe not as much as it has been in the past, but again it will always have its place.
In a world of e-books and e-readers, book stores and books themselves are declining.  Personally, I prefer a physical book over an electronic one.  I've never really used e-books or e-readers, but I will always prefer the traditional book.  I love looking at the covers of books, as well.  I used to go into Borders and just wander around aimlessly looking at book covers.  I would always keep an eye out for something that intrigued me.  People don't shop that way anymore because they typically buy from online.  Some websites do still let you view the cover, but it's not the same at all.  I just like holding books as opposed to some form of electronic book.  On the other hand, I feel sometimes book covers can be very misleading.  A book can have an incredible cover, but the book itself can be complete crap or the book can be incredible, but the cover can be less than stellar.  If I see a book cover that looks great that does not necessarily mean that I'll buy it.  There are true artists out there when it comes to designing book covers and I think they deserve recognition.  
I think book covers will always be around, but if they do completely disappear it will not be for some time so we should enjoy them for what some of them truly are and that's art.

No comments:

Post a Comment